Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oh, the innocence of youth!

So for the last couple of months I've been reading the older girls the Ramona Quimby books by Beverly Cleary...I'm sure most of you remember those (if not, they're worth reading, get them from the library!).

Well, last night we were reading in Ramona the Brave when we got to a party where Ramona is so angry she decides she wants to say a bad word. She announces her intentions to her family, who wait in shocked anticipation. Ramona takes a deep breath then shouts out, "Guts! Guts, guts guts!" Of course, Ramona's family laughs in amusement and probably relief. Later on, Ramona asks her mother, "Isn't "guts" a bad word?" Her mother replies that guts really isn't a very nice word, but there are worse words.

At this point Savannah interrupted and said, "Yeah, there are worse words!"

"Like what?" I asked

Savannah answered in a low voice, obviously nervous that she was actually going to say it out loud:

"You are a jerk!"

Thank goodness...!

5 comments:

  1. Oh you make me laugh! I had no idea you were reading your kids those books. Absolutely by complete coincidence, I have been reading Brody the Henry Huggins books, then ventured into Ramona books (we also have read the Brave) and currently have others on our shelf waiting to be read while we finish Pippi Longstocking. He loves it!

    Love it that the little kids think those are bad words...that is the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I wonder If she was going to say something else, but didn't dare! Not that you guys say them, but I'm sure she has heard them at school. Which is not so fun, but it is reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you don't know know me but I'm friends with Ashlee and I found your blog on her blog and I just have to say how cute your kids are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have felt like the family in the book cuz I was waiting in shocked anticipation for her response. Very funny and cute! Love inocent minds. Oh and I love the pic of Savannah by the tree, she looks so grown up and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so funny!!!! The pictures of your kids are super cute!!

    ReplyDelete